Inspired by Bhanu Kapil Rider's The Vertical Interrogation of Strangers, we ask photographer Garrett Lockhart twelve questions.
1. WHO ARE YOU AND WHOM DO YOU LOVE?
My name is Garrett Lockhart and I love my mom.
2. WHAT HAPPENED IN THE MOST RECENT DREAM THAT YOU BEST REMEMBER?
I was in my room, pulling my teeth out one by one. Some of them would crumble into a million little pieces, others falling down my throat.
3. WHAT OCCUPIES YOUR THOUGHTS MOST LATELY?
Mind on my (lack of) money, (lack of) money on my mind.
4. WHEN WERE YOU FIRST MOST AWARE OF YOUR PRESENT PASSIONS AS A CHILD?
I remember one Christmas I received my first point and shoot. I went to the beach the following summer and got a bunch of sand in the lens. I guess I became aware I had a passion when I went out and spent all my money on another camera.
5. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE FEELING?
When you turn on a faucet in a public washroom and the water isn’t warm, but simultaneously hot and cold.
6. WHAT IS YOUR LEAST FAVORITE FEELING?
Missing the metro by a hair.
7. HOW DO YOU FUNCTION AND/OR FLOURISH IN SOLITUDE VS. AMONG PREFERRED COMPANY?
When I’m alone I’m really weird. Sometimes I shake my hands to see how fast they can go. Sometimes I roll up into a tiny ball and pretend I’m not taking up any space. It is in those moments when I’m really one with myself, when I’m able to think most clearly. When I’m with my friends I’m equally weird I guess. I just try not to shake my hands too much.
8. ARE YOU GOOD AT BEING UNCOMFORTABLE?
9. WHAT DO YOU IMAGINE MOST PEOPLE GET WRONG ABOUT YOU AT FIRST ACQUAINTANCE?
I was having trouble with this question so I asked my roommate. He said “I hated you.”
10. HOW/WHO IS YOUR IDEAL AUDIENCE?
My friends, my family, and anyone else who wants to look.
11. WHERE IS HOME?
12. WHAT QUESTION WOULD YOU ASK TO WHOMEVER IS READING THIS?
Are ya happy?
View Garrett's portfolio.