1. WHO ARE YOU AND WHOM DO YOU LOVE?
I'm a writer. I love my partner, my friends, all the curious kindred spirits fighting worthwhile fights.
2. WHAT HAPPENED IN THE MOST RECENT DREAM THAT YOU BEST REMEMBER?
I never seem to remember my dreams. When I do, I don't tell people about them. They're private guides, I think. Telegrams from your own disappearance.
3. WHAT OCCUPIES YOUR THOUGHTS MOST LATELY?
How to help make things better. Governing my own spirit. Zines.
4. WHEN WERE YOU FIRST MOST AWARE OF YOUR PRESENT PASSIONS AS A CHILD?
I remember getting my dad to set up a desk for me in our crowded, unfinished basement. A proper desk, where I could write. I was about seven years old. He gave me a little rolodex box of filing cards; I thought, "I need to write a story idea on each one."
5. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE FEELING?
6. WHAT IS YOUR LEAST FAVORITE FEELING?
7. HOW DO YOU FUNCTION AND/OR FLOURISH IN SOLITUDE VS. AMONG PREFERRED COMPANY?
Being alone is where most of the work gets done, except for the work of being with other people: that takes listening and talking, too. Out in the world, the trick is to try to understand that each moment is an opportunity. Be big-hearted, pay attention.
8. ARE YOU GOOD AT BEING UNCOMFORTABLE?
No. It's very difficult for me to sit with that feeling.
9. WHAT DO YOU IMAGINE MOST PEOPLE GET WRONG ABOUT YOU AT FIRST ACQUAINTANCE?
The truth is that I'm much more judgmental than I may seem.
10. HOW/WHO IS YOUR IDEAL AUDIENCE?
Someone young or someone very old, who feels right on the edge of discovering something.
11. WHERE IS HOME?
The city of Montreal.
12. WHAT QUESTION WOULD YOU ASK TO WHOMEVER IS READING THIS?
What's your favourite piece of music today?
Sean Michaels' premiere novel Us Conductors, winner of the 2014 Scotiabank Giller Prize, is available now.